Seclusion here is absolute, ancient, untouched. The house has a four-part history which the O’Haras, whose family settled here in 1858, relate with verve: they love their old-style family seat and wonderful garden. A fine Afgan rug cheers up the landing off which old fashioned, mostly large bedrooms lie, with freshly painted walls and bathrooms full of character; views include the mighty solitary oak on the front lawn. A path has been mown through the meadow to Lough Derravaragh with Knock Eyon beyond. Downstairs, carpets fade as they approach long ranks of park-facing windows, the gleaming gold drawing-room wallpaper was put up in the 1800s (Warwick has no intention of changing it), velvet cushions are sprinkled over a variety of antique sofas and chairs and a potted lime tree in the dining room catches the sunlight in the morning. Warwick and Anne are genuinely dedicated hosts and produce delicious meals for the big candlelit table where silverware shines, growing much of the produce in the fabulous walled garden. Roses scent the air, donkeys bray, wood pigeons coo.